Blog Post Two: ‘How the Better Lives Themes Will Change How I Work in the Future’

Throughout the Better Lives unit, I was introduced to the three core themes of the course: sustainability, diversity and social responsibility. Such themes were deeply explored within the Better Lives lectures and my chosen unit, ‘Fashion Styling and Production’. The styling course enabled me to explore the three mains themes using an element of creativity that would not be possible elsewhere in my work; styling allows one to understand the fashion industry through the following/ creation of new trends.

A current trend more prevalent than ever is the use of sustainability in fashion. ‘Sustainable fashion’ could be anything from using vintage garments, borrowing/ renting clothes, or purchasing from sustainable brands; all with the desire to reduce production of new garments using new materials. The styling course introduced me to ‘sustainable’ stylists (Lucy Harvard, Penny Lovel for Anne Hathaway etc.), an element of the profession which I didn’t think possible as a stylist’s job is often to promote the latest products. Through learning about such stylists, I was able to understand that themes of sustainability can always be a factor in how I work in the future; journalism focuses on current affairs and what’s new- there’s always new ways to be sustainable and support our planet.

In regards to the theme of diversity, the ‘Fashion Styling and Production’ unit provided examples of an array of methods/ trends of styling (such as use of the body in the 90s/2000s when styled campaigns were sexual and seductive) and eras/ subcultures of fashion (like the ‘Casual’ movement of the late 70s). However, the course focused on the diversity of products rather than human diversity, most likely as a result of a stylist’s job being to create a specific narrative through a styled look. In my future work in the creative sphere, I will ensure to combine the notions of diversity and inclusion to represent the people that make up our society- stylists rarely use the same item of clothing twice, so why should we see a lack of diversity in the media?

Stylists have a primary social responsibility to project/ create the latest trends, promote upcoming collections and to create a narrative through means of clothing and accessories. Traditionally, the social responsibilities involved with styling are adequately surface level, though arguably have the potential to create a narrative focused around a significant message (political messages, environmental messages etc.). This is something that I learned about during the two sportswear workshops, and a factor that I will continue to embrace in my future work; when a task seems primarily surface level it can always have potential to portray a secondary, deeper meaning.

1 Comment