Blog 1

After watching those Better Lives video, I found that Kate Fletcher’s lecture “Nature” is very interesting and very important for human. In the lecture, she talks about how nature is so important for the Earth and also mentioned the relationship between nature and Fashion and how nature supports the fashion industry.

In my opinion, I strongly agree with what Kate has said in the lecture. Before I watched the lecture I thought everyone knows how nature is important for our lives and cares about something like climate change, polar vortex, and rate of biodiversity less…. But after she mentioned that people know brands more than knowing nature species, I realised that although people know that protecting the environment is important, we always think that someone will help us to protect it so we don’t have to do the action by ourselves. Everyone knows that nature is important, but only a few people really care about it even though we are surrounded by those extreme weather and climate change. For Journalist, they still barely mentioned how bad is the world becoming and how people can change the situation just because the audience prefer looking at politics or entertainment news. I also agree with her when she said: “Humans see themselves as the centre of everything.” There are lots of species that also live on the Earth but humans always see themselves as the most important one. Therefore, we waste a lot of natural resources and destroy the environment by getting more sources.

Everything is related to nature, such as fabric. Thus, fashion is also related to nature. Many designers started to use fashion to decrease the waste of nature. They believe that they can use fashion to join the world and take social responsibility. Besides, many brands also created eco-friendly packaging which is made of bamboo, sugar cane fibre, and woods. So it can make the world better.