Project Outcomes and Personal Development Reflection Task (3)

Navigate Through Clothing is to explore how one can creatively communicate meanings through the visual art medium of clothing.

As a collective group we were given a mind-invigorating introduction to the context of costume design for the performing arts. We started to strategize on how to research, analyse, experiment, test and create a focused concept design development process.

We worked through a segment of text from the story of Hansel and Gretel, and from which, re-interpreted a character of our choice and gave them an imaginative twist inspired by the contemporary political and social matters of diverse world cultures – of these cultures I had picked both Circus Life and the Antarctic to in-cooperate into my character design. From the text I had chosen to work with the Step-Mother as I felt that I could apply my two chosen world cultures well to her mannerisms.

As an individual I created one final character design for the Step-Mother. Within my design I bared in mind the growing area of sustainable costume culture and so introduced many sustainable materials that truly gave my design an eco-correct approach. The project outcome had become something I was extremely proud of personally as I felt that I has fully made use of my research into the Artic and the Circus and made use of this to generate a concept that responded well to the text and brief.

The project outcome has influenced my way of thinking.

The characters and concept sharing during Navigating Through Clothing lectures, as a collective encouraged a circle of trust within each other to listen, explore and obtain new knowledge communally to make pieces of work that can relate to us individually. 

The unit truly gave me a better insight and my lecture environment brought about some Personal Development in collaboratively working on and improving my concepts.