Project Outcomes and Personal Development – John Bloom

At the very beginning of this portrait photography class, I felt eager to diversify my practice. I was keen on learning technical skills, theory, conventions, and how this class might influence how I navigate this messy knot of an industry. I can certainly say at the end of this project, I have shifted the way I see how powerful a portrait can be and the ways in which I can manipulate the camera in order to evoke a meaningful message. Portrait photography has the ability to highlight subtle nuances we may not see at first glance. 

My journey began with reflecting on my own feelings and emotions during the pandemic. Using this time for introspection was something I felt was important in an age like this, and I would frequently have ongoing conversations and debates with my friends regarding mental health and their own experiences during this time. Many are spread out throughout the world, others are just ten minutes away. But with just a quick click of a button, regardless of how far they are, I am able to see their face in the palm of my hand. I can hear their voice, see their facial expressions, and see if I’ve said something that they disagree with from their body language. To be connected in this digital age is something we take for granted, no longer the need for sending lengthy letters or complicated telegrams. For a majority of my conversations with my friends, we all agreed on this – we feel completely overwhelmed by the number of media news outlets we have access too, to a point where it feels drowning. It is a complete data overload, considering how fast case numbers are updated and written about in the press. We all feel lost, and pulled in thousands of different directions. What do we believe, and where do we begin to navigate this daunting path of forming our own opinion? Having these conversations and this continuous reflection assisted me in developing my project. I wanted to express these emotions I was feeling, and really evoke this in a highly considered portrait. When bringing awareness to the medium of my photograph, I wanted to juxtapose the digital age we live in – by presenting my outcome in an analogue style. This doesn’t mean shooting in analogue, it was about making it feel dated and non digital.

In my own personal development, I really valued the lecture which explored portrait photography as a performance, and using the space to bring upon sensory feelings or transport the viewer into a different place and time. As explained in Daniel Treacy’s lecture, “…practitioners transform and blur our understanding of what is reality and fantasy, by incorporating styling, props and set design in quite simplistic ways.

The camera’s position is very important with regards to perspective – the camera becomes a participant in the performative act” (Treacy, 2020). Treacy’s lecture inspired me to challenge myself to capture a moment that considered these factors. I came to understand the real power I have as a photographer behind the lens, and my ability to develop these visualizations.

Fig. 1. Portrait Photography Outcome Better Lives (2020)

References: Treacy, D 2020, Performance in Photography, lecture notes, Better Lives Unit FU001708, London College of Fashion, delivered 20 April 2020.

Figure 1. Bloom, J. (2020) Portrait Photography Outcome Better Lives [Photograph]

3 Comments