Blog Post 3: Project Outcome

As a student from Creative Direction for Fashion, ideas and creativity always comes first. In my eyes, a person without ideas is like a body without a soul or a ship without sails in the sea. Many of the students in our course are very talented and thoughtful. In terms of thinking about innovation in general, I think we are relatively good at it, and I think it is easier to absorb new things or new ideas. But we need to stretch more from reality and think about what can happen. Since taking The Better Lives class, I’ve gained some insight into the changing trends of fashion in the future. We need to innovate and work harder to learn and develop so that the fashion industry can progress faster. 

My chosen course in The Better Lives unit is contemporary portrait photography. Combined with some of the lectures that have been given before, my previous definition of fashion has been altered. Before the fashion industry, many people thought it was very realistic and damaging to the earth’s environment. Fashion, as I see it now, is free, futuristic, full of possibilities. In Lecture 3: Emerging Technologies in Fashion, Nick mentioned a lot of topics about Emerging Technologies in the future, which also triggered my thinking on my project. There are many styles of photography, and how photographers express themselves vary. But my favorite is also the work with the theme of emerging technology, because the future is not yet here, so artists can express what will happen in the future in a virtual form. I recently watched an American TV series called the “Westworld”, which is about the direct relationship between artificial intelligence and human beings. Because I think this kind of work makes the audience think about human nature. For example, does an object have the right to exist when it has consciousness? Can you call it life? After I listened to the lecture in Better Lives, it opened a new world of ideas about the future world for me. There is also a huge amount of cinematic art in the market today, such as “The Matrix,” “Blade Runner,” and so on. These films all use the theme of emerging technology to describe the story of the future. Therefore, I am also very interested in emerging technologies, which can be used in Fashion Media and bring different feelings and understandings to the audience. I am hopeful that the fashion industry will be a diverse, sustainable and world-changing one.  

At the same time, we have witnessed the changes in the fashion industry brought by technology. I believe that technology will change humanity in the future. Through the study of this unit, I understand more clearly that we are now in the future, but we still need to do more.