Project Outcome and Personal Development

At this unprecedented time in today’s COVID 19 pandemic, the Better Lives themes could not be more significant.

As a team, we were motivated to discover aspects of COVID 19 we can embrace and reflect on. My role as a Fashion PR student I constantly find myself analysing campaigns, focused on being a strategic communicator thus I enjoyed exploring Creative Direction as it is essential when drawing in the right audience and fabricating a story innovatively. I reflected on my personal privileges; being able to have a home, staying safe, with constant food and drink. We decided to change our initial ideas for the film, although the broader aim is still significant. Emily Bode’s name is an important aspect of her brand as it represents the history of her family. Her work is intricately detailed as she aims to deepen the connection between the consumer and American craftsmanship. Therefore, we utilized this approach and focused on the connection with ourselves, our home and our family traditions. This is something we expanded further through online calls, sharing footage that focuses on personal connections. The essential points were to embody intimacy, nature with subtle vintage mentions throughout the film. 

The theme of sustainability is our focal point for this short film, Bode’s aesthetic follows a vintage, antique style reworking used fabrics and avoiding seasonal trends. Her clothing is infused with heritage and tradition thus, as a group we found inspiration in creating footage that represents these features; calling attention to our gardens, natural surroundings. In regard to the footage I created, I aimed to focus on relationships. The intimate attachments I have with my garden, my pets and my town, Stratford upon Avon. There’s a sentiment about the shots of the blossom trees as it spotlights on a new season, its growth and how we will overcome these drastic changes. These specific clips showcase how important home is to anyone. In reference to Bode’s aesthetic these notions emphasise how the film dives into narratives of someone’s personal space and how they live their daily life. The collaborative aspect of this project flowed well, as we had a clear perspective of Emily Bode’s style, aesthetic and creative intentions thus our ideas linked up effectively. We aimed to showcase the theme of sustainability in a different light. The intense, chaotic fashion industry is absent in this film, instead we are embodying the beauty of traditions; an attribute Bode incorporates in her creative designs. We decided on creating the short film as an Instagram advertisement for Bode’s page, following her storytelling, historical aspect within each post.

It is about experience, each clip says something about the creator, understanding how they have responded to COVID19. Her heritage is practically woven into the garment just like ours in the short film for Emily Bode.

On reflection, I have developed my digital communication skills, I felt concerned at the idea of creating a film, working from home with little to no materials to incorporate. Although I have discovered that adapting to these changes has provided me with a different outlook on the fashion industry and how creativity can be exciting and artistry can be created in the beauty of your own home. Now, I’ll approach projects prepared for anything, finding new ways to respond to my project briefs, ultimately making me feel more prepared and organised for future collaborations.