Blog Post 2 – Themes reflection

I found it really interesting most of the Better Lives themes, but specifically, I think that the themes of Diversity, Social Responsibility, and Inclusion are all very relevant in my project of Better Lives Messaging Fashion. By taking notes on all the lectures I realize that the fashion industry just moves around the money and not around the art of fashion. These days the young generations are realizing the problems and injustices in the fashion industry and as creators and customers are demanding changes to the companies. An is really good news that a big number of fashion brands are changing their way of working to be more responsible in all the possible ways.

After listening to some lectures, I thought about how can I change my way of working in the present and in the future in order to be a more responsible part of the fashion industry as a fashion photographer. In lecture 4 I have reflected on how we are all responsible for creating an inclusive environment with all kinds of people, and even more the people who are dedicated to communicating fashion like the photographers. It is so important to create content that includes different types of models, including people of different ages and people with different types of disabilities in order to create a much more inclusive fashion environment. I think as a photographer I will change my future casting in order to be more inclusive.

As I learn in the Social Responsibility lecture, our practice has more meaning than what we think. The media as a lot of power in society and we should change the way it works in order to make it more inclusive. The diversity goes farther than just male and female or white or black skin. As a future fashion photographer after seeing these lectures, I know how I can improve my practice to create better lives, starting with a more inclusive casting and continuing to work with new people regardless of where they come from or how much money they have.

I am responsible for creating responsible content within society and content that cannot cause any harm to anyone, it is important to value all minorities and majorities of society to not to continue creating unfair content, this will maybe mean to change the scheme established in advertising. As well to hire people with mental problems who can work on the creation of content (so the staff is more diverse) is part of our responsibility as creatives, to give opportunities to all people who want to work in this industry and not the established scheme so far.

We can all improve the way we work to change the bad parts of this industry, and we can start by changing stereotypes and creating more human art. Giving more importance to equality and to art than to the profit.

1 Comment