-Themes/Practices reflection blog post (2)

Themes/Reflection work

For this reflection task I have taken consideration into the topics of what I have wrote about in my first blog post in relation to the better lives and sustainability.

There are many debatable areas in the fashion world about what is morally accepted and what is not. For the artist, one might find it socially acceptable to create something another may find distressing. If a certain art or design was produced well resulting with positive responses that had no description on what that concept was about but what if they find that there was a unrighteous message behind it, would their opinions change entirely and abolish the creativity and art altogether based on the meaning? Especially recently, involving controversies with bigger named brands and why many people continue supporting them.

So, this has made me contemplate on what different ways I would like to include in my future work. For instance, if I’m producing a project, I would invest my time into how I’d want my work to be portrayed and how the meanings behind it could be constructive for audiences as well as for the creativity. Also spending the time in getting the right information from specific people, to develop/deliver the projects effectively if it is about a particular topic in that area.

Practices

I am a huge fan of technology and with this evolution rapidly increasing in this day and age with a large impact in our daily lives. Fashion designers are starting to involve technology with fashion. This is a great stepping-stone for fashion sustainability since fashion is one of the biggest polluting industries. Technologies such as renewable energy, 3D printing new designs, virtual reality, to using nanomaterials in clothing which consists of hydrophobic materials (from leaves or lotus leaves) that makes them water repellent and self-cleaning. Using photovoltaic cells in clothes/accessories would be beneficial to us in many ways, such as solar powered bags that helps recharge a smartphone. Adding to this there are also powered self-heating jackets that are made for the cold weather, a good example would be the ‘Ralph Lauren Polo 11’ jackets. They are powered by Mophie batteries and what I like about this idea is that you can connect the jacket to its own app via Bluetooth and adjust the level of heat desired depending on the environment. Back to the virtual realities, now there are many useful websites and apps that dictates our faces or searches for a certain style of clothing for customers.

I am doing the fashion make-up breakdown unit and makeup doesn’t just only involve using cosmetics, various of people now can use virtual try on make-up and face filters that virtually enhances the face without having to apply anything on yourself.

Due to the current unfortunate situation globally the unit online lectures helped me imagine other ways of creating ‘make up’ by using the items I have around me at home. Like, using bits of foil, newspapers, paperclips to reconstruct new 3D shapes and patterns that could be applied to the face or something wearable like a head accessory. For that reason, this has made me want to create more using augmented reality in that aspect.