Blog 2: Nature

Nature by Kate Fletcher was another of the lectures that stood out to me from the Better Lives Lectures. It raised some fascinating and relevant points about sustainability and drastically changed how I will work in the future. It got me thinking about how beautiful and fragile our planet is; and how, as a collective society, we are destroying it this is our social responsibility. Kate Fletcher’s lecture made me evaluate other aspects of the world and from an educational point of view. Especially with the current pandemic going on, the result of us being inside, we have already significantly improved the condition that our nature is currently in. This shows that we are the primary issue. We use so masses of nature’s natural resources like gallons of water, mounts of paper, and loads of cotton. Those are just basic examples of how we take so much from this planet but hardly do anything in return. Majority of us don’t take the social responsibility in our hand to make the difference or even bother making a change.
Oceans cover most the planet. We have only discovered 5% of the capacity of our oceans, and we are destroying its life without knowing how much more they hold. So much plastic is floating in our oceans right now, killing animals, habitats and coral reefs. I remember going to Australia two years ago, and most of the coral reef is gone. More than 95% of the world’s population is breathing polluted, unsafe air. People often forget to think about the long-term consequences of damaging our nature or polluting the air we need to survive. They forget about how necessary the trees are to us and how we need them to breathe. Still, people are throwing away and not recycling items on a day to day basis.
As a student in Hair and Make-up in Fashion, a concerning fact is the regular waste of ‘one-time’ items. Being in the make-up industry myself, I know how much unnecessary cotton, plastic, and paper we throw away after using it once for hygiene reasons. And fashion is the world’s most polluting industry. I want to end my blog post, reflecting on how I can use what I learned from Kate Fletcher and use it for future work. It has made me aware of how fast we as a community can change and impact the conditions of our climate, nature and surroundings. We can use less waste in production, recycle, use grown organic materials, use more energy-efficient manufacturing, have better work conditions, better logistics, use less water etc. This will all improve our pollution and solve many global issues.