Blog 3: Project Outcomes and Personal Growth

As a fashion PR & Communication student, I often find myself studying campaigns, analysing projects, and planning brand launches. With that being said, I have noticed that photography is a vital source of communication from the fashion industry, which is why I chose to partake in contemporary portrait photography as my better lives project. I feel as though it is a gateway of communication between consumer and producer. Infact, it was through the lectures of photographers and their works’ impact that I was able to see the veracious power that a photograph can possess.

Coming from an Arab/Islamic country, I have always found comfort in magazines. They acted as an escape from my restrictive society and gave a sense of freedom and acceptance. This unit has allowed me to look into other photographers who are able to convey the same feeling to individuals with other diverse backgrounds. I was able to see how photographers have  different styles and approaches when portraying diversity through their works; from there I found an interest in looking past the surface of a photograph. I was inspired by Cindy Sherman’s ability to question the concept of identity through her self self-portraits. In each photograph she transforms into someone new through make up, costume and performance. To me, her form of expression speaks to everyone who has struggled to find their identity in society, which is something I struggled with when growing up in a closed minded society but with an open minded family. Similarly Hew Locke’s works are less apparent from first glance, to understand his work I opened my mind and looked for a deeper meaning. When discovering that he had imputed himself in his work to demonstrate “a world of his own creation”, I was able to interpret the work in my own manner. Ultimately, by studying their works, along with many others, I was encouraged to look into other artists I had previously studied and I was surprised at how differently I began to interpret and understand them.

Before switching to online form, we were given the chance to use cameras to test out different apertures, shutter speeds and ISO. I am grateful for this knowledge because it allowed me to understand the basics of photography. However, after coming back to Egypt, I began to take images with my iPhone, allowing  me to focus on composition and structure rather than lighting. Allowing me to take more risks with my photographs and be able to think outside the box like Sherman and Locke.

If you recall, I stated that within my course I often plan brand launches, the better lives project has inspired me to think outside of the box. Even the simplest photographs demonstrate creativity and purpose, thus I hope to be able to combine my knowledge on communication to create more creative styles within my works and campaigns. Studying photography has allowed me to see that photographers come from many diverse backgrounds, and their work expresses different things to different people. 

• (2020) ‘Better Lives, Performance in Portraiture’ [Lecture]. Better Lives, London College of Fashion, 24 February.
2 Comments