Blog 3: Project Outcome and Personal Development Reflection

The project I chose was “In and Outside of Fashion: Sportswear Fashion Language and Sub-cultures”. Prior to this, I have styled some shoots and created a styling portfolio, but that’s it. Therefore, I had no idea how wide and complex styling truly is, with so much to consider and research and how everything ties into each other. The Better Lives key themes of diversity, social responsibility and sustainability were also incorporated into our lessons. These elements are all part of the structure of styling.

The first lecture provided plenty of information regarding subcultures. In our groups, we created our own subculture by merging major aesthetics and vital material from both sportswear and a subculture of our choice. My group came up with “The Ravies”, which took 90’s rave culture, fused it with even more sportswear than perhaps it originally had and finally, modernised it slightly to be more palatable for today’s generation. The collage we made was a highly hands-on and fun activity, where everyone took part and shared their creative ideas and wisdom, which really enhanced the overall experience.

In our masterclass we were asked to style another experimental and contemporary sportswear outfit individually, with the existing resources we have at home. The theme we were told to focus on was “healthy-youth vibes”, with reference to “fitness, subcultures and personal expression” during home isolation. I decided to combine the skateboarding sportswear subculture with a Mean Girls, Regina George-esque subculture consisting hot, popular and well-dressed schoolgirls/sorority girls. Skating itself is primarily perceived as a masculine sport, just like football. I wanted to challenge that dated, sexist view by styling the fit with a short skirt. Girls who skate and choose to wear ‘girly’ clothes as opposed to dressing ‘like a boy’ receive a lot of hate, often called degrading and sexist names from both misogynistic males and females suffering from internalised misogyny. While it might not be the most practical of bottoms, you can in fact skate in a non-restrictive skirt that also won’t get caught in anything. Disclaimer: it is advised to wear shorts underneath to protect your modesty. But it’s your choice. That’s what inclusive fashion is about: choice. Furthermore, to add in some sustainability, I recycled some old packaging for accessories; using package ribbon as a necklace, belt and hair tie. I believe the themes made my styling project come to life instead of it just being about an outfit. They reinforced the fact that this is for real people made by real people.

I took decisions that I would have otherwise never considered. I feel like I have learnt a lot as well as had fun. It’s shown me we are all socially responsible, whether we decide to use our voice for good or not. We all have the chance to make a difference. In the future I want to experiment more with various sustainable materials.