Blog 2: Theme Reflection

I feel that regardless of how hectic or simple the outcome of a photograph can be, it will always be able to portray a lot about where the photographer, the subject and all components in a shoot stand in a moment in time. This is what inspired me to choose portrait photography as my better life project, because photography is a vital source that can help promote sustainability, diversity, and social responsibility. These themes do not only comply extensively with my diploma in fashion PR & Communication, but also with the approach I hope to take throughout  my work. 

Undeniably, learning about the maintenance of sustainability will alter the way I work in the future due to being aware of the beneficial impacts of certain brands, materials etc. However, how can this knowledge be shared with consumers who are not studying at a concerned fashion school?  How can photography expose the effects of certain brands including the “fast fashion” industry that take limited actions towards this issue? I hope to spend more time looking into how I can change from within to promote sustainability, as I need to understand my footsteps as a consumer to be able to make a change. Especially, after seeing the beneficial impact that the COVID-19 crisis has implemented on earth, I am positive that there is a way to make that fashion industry more aware. 

Diversity is a term that I respect immensely because it affects my everyday life. Coming from an Arab/Islamic background, there have always been certain restrictions I obliged too in the fashion industry. However, these barriers are slowly starting to be limited and put aside through the fashion industry making a proclaimed name in the Arab world. Although I usually look at diversity from a PR/communication perspective, our lesson on portraiture within family and heritage, allowed me to see the way in which portraiture can promote diversity. For instance, the launch of Vogue Arabia was a milestone as photographers Inez and Vinoodh were able to communicate about fashion, culture and history all throughout the cover portrait of Gigi Hadid. This marked the historic way arab societies are making a mark on the western world after many years of being divided. I hope to work with a communications team that promotes this type of inclusivity. 

Nevertheless, I feel as though the fashion industry has a social responsibility to engage consumers in the ability to make a change. By change, I refer to our obligation to the world, our work, and ourselves. The better lives lectures a few weeks ago have broadened my perspective of what my social responsibility is and should be. For example, the ‘Nature in Fashion’ lecture demonstrated the divide of consumers and producers vs nature and who in order to maintain sustainability we must create a link to both. Learning more about brands and their approach on social responsibility have altered my future goals as these themes have now been embedded in my everyday life. 

• Morgan, P. 2020. Breaking: Vogue Arabia’S First Cover—Revealed. [online] Vogue Arabia. Available at: <https://en.vogue.me/fashion/debut-cover-vogue-arabia-gigi-hadid-march-issue/> [Accessed 16 April 2020].
  • Fletcher, K. (2020) ‘ Nature’ [Lecture]. Better Lives, London College of Fashion, 12 February.