Better Lives Post 3: Project Outcomes and Personal Development Reflection

Better Lives Journey

My Better Lives journey personal development has proven invaluable. Studying and constantly reflecting on the Better Lives themes has undoubtedly heightened my awareness of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility. In addition to a new awareness of these crucial themes, I have also developed styling skills whilst considering wider issues in the fashion industry and world in general.

My subject specific Better Lives project ‘In and outside of fashion: Sportswear Fashion language and sub-cultures’, has allowed me to creatively investigate fashion styling while giving me insight on sportswear as a historical and influential movement.

Project Outcomes

Learning outcomes included two full body styled looks created in two Style Lab Masterclasses. The first Masterclass took place at University, which allowed our tutors and peers to comment and encourage created looks. Despite the Covid-19 outbreak, the second Masterclass continued in an online setting.

My first full body styled look included: purple sweatpants by Juicy Couture, a pair of unbranded sweatpants and Nike Shox. The experimental focus of this look was on the silhouette which was created by the model, myself, wearing a pair of sweatpants as a top.

Continuing with the Better Lives themes, our second and final Style Lab Masterclass brief was to combine sportswear with a subculture or subcultures to inspire styling that celebrates a healthy lifestyle, contributing to the global effort to overcome these difficult times.

My final look included: hoop earrings by H&M, a scrunchie by Topshop, pink cropped jacket by Versace, white leotard by American Apparel, black cropped leggings by M&S and black Tabi shoes by Maison Margiela.

I combined sportswear and the 1980s fitness trend to create a unique styled look. Revolving my garments around sportswear, I chose to incorporate metallic fashion elements (Tabis featuring metallic detail, shiny pink jacket & pink metallic hairpiece) in my ensemble to promote a feminine, youthful aesthetic.

Following the Better Lives theme of sustainability I have used second hand items (Versace jacket), as well as brands that support sustainability (Margiela & American Apparel) to create my look to ensure a considered contribution within my final outcome.

Personal Development

I feel that through-out my Better Lives experience, I have had an informed opportunity to develop my styling talents and knowledge of the industry. Considering my first project outcome look had no focus on sustainability, opposed to my second project outcome which incorporated vintage pieces and items from sustainable brands.

Moving forward with my personal creative practice I will be more considerate and insightful about the ongoing issues of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility. Experimenting and engaging with the Better Lives themes and visual languages has encouraged me to consider and explore these issues in both a fashion and global context.