The Importance of Social Responsibility and Diversity in the Fashion Industry

Having begun a foray into fashion styling and production in the Better Lives unit, the two themes which have seemed most pertinent to me out of the three are that of social responsibility and diversity.

Stylists have the power to make things current and trendy. They decide the fashion agenda in many respects. And so, they must think of the question, ‘What message do I want to convey?’, as a message is conveyed no matter what, whether that message is intended or accidental. For example, think of the SS20 Gucci campaign which sought to highlight mental health struggles. It was met with welcome acclaim alongside backlash, with the main argument being ‘Mental health is not fashion’ (Leaper, 2019), and should therefore not be used to make money for giant capitalist companies. 

This, on one hand, underlines the need for more diversity in all aspects of fashion; yet on the other hand it exhibits the responsibility practitioners have in assessing whether the message they want to convey is indeed being conveyed in the intended way, for it is so easy for messages to become construed. 

For this reason, new conversations need to be driven forward. The current media climate is not tolerant, nor is it totally inclusive or diverse. Contrary to popular belief, women are still undervalued and abused by the media; racial minorities are still portrayed in a negative and disrespectful regard; and embodiments of young and old generations alike are fraught with ageism. True, the media is propelling forward at some rate, but we have not reached total justice for all. 

This social responsibility in increasing diversity in the fashion industry can also be effectively realised through the practice of journalism. As a fashion journalist, social responsibility is arguably the most important theme of all. Working in the media, fashion journalists are in a position to drive conversations forward. How they interact with this position undoubtedly plays out on the wide-reaching landscape of the general public’s mindset. There can be no denying that what we say about the people and situations in the stories we publish really matters. 

We have a social responsibility to represent all people fairly and realistically. Representations impact people in myriad ways. If someone does not feel seen, or represented, this can lead to a whole host of problems relating to mental health, body image and body dissatisfaction, and general wellbeing. Therefore, those of us who impact the fashion media as a whole industry are the sole bearers of the responsibility to make people feel valued, mobilised, and recognised. 

Going forward in my own practice, I predict that I will slow down in order to think more about what it is I am trying to say, and whether I am doing that message justice in the words and the clothes that I am using. Fashion is language, and just like how we have to think before we speak, I now believe that we have to add the same care and caution to our practice. Fashion impacts everyone. Now I will imagine my journalism and styling as if I were delivering a speech to the general public of the world, realising and incorporating the depth of consideration public speakers and world leaders use when addressing their nations. 

REFERENCES

Leaper, C. (2019) ‘‘Mental health is not fashion’: The story behind Gucci’s on-catwalk protest at Milan Fashion Week’, The Telegraph, 23 September. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/milan-fashion-week/mental-health-not-fashion-story-behind-guccis-on-catwalk-protest/