Better lives lecture post 2

The Better Lives class I took this semester is a fashion illustration. During class, I first practiced collage and drawing, and then I had time to investigate designers and brands in earnest. As I majored in ‘Hair and make up for fashion’, I focused on beauty brands. Among many brands, we examined the Rush of the UK’s leading cosmetic brand. The brand Rush is especially environmentally friendly and active in the field of animal rights. In this regard, I thought that the themes of Better Lives classes, social responsibility, diversity and sustainability, were similar to what Rush sought.

In Rush, there are many positive features in sustainability, for example, replacing it with more eco-friendly oils using almonds or olive oil, not mineral oils, first in the environment. The second example is packaging. You can also see parts of sustainability in the environment when packaging, and Rush removes packaging when designing a product. About half of the products can be taken home without packaging. Selling only shampoo bars saves about 6 million plastic bottles worldwide. It also aims to use recycled materials if packaging is unavoidable, and reuse or composting old packaging materials. Also, Rush does not experiment with animals, nor does it use substances containing animal derivatives that are not suitable for vegetarians. They argue that people’s safety is important, but that they are responsible for ensuring it without using animals as much. I think it is everyone’s responsibility to take care of the environment that we can easily pass by. Rather than brands that produce products with huge animal testing or no thought of the environment at all, I think that if I pay more attention to brands that don’t do animal testing or think about the environment, it will be able to make positive changes and increase sustainability.

By investigating Rush like this, I was able to find other ideas in what I could see on a regular basis. Even if it’s not just a cosmetic brand, protests against animal testing, which can be easily seen in front of various brands on the street, come to mind. Before this class, if you thought of protesters who would have passed by without feeling anything, we need to pay more attention and understand the seriousness of the situation.

Due to the nature of my major, I usually work with a lot of cosmetics, but I have never thought about social responsibility or environmental issues. However, Better Lives classes have become a turning point in protecting the environment and changing perceptions of sustainable things. The changing perception itself will provide a wider range of perspectives on my work style in the future. Previously, if I only focused on pretty and good things or the results of your work, from now on, I will be able to think wider and deeper. I can make the results I want when I work in the future, but I can learn how to use and purchase products in a more sustainable and eco-friendly way. Also, I will be able to recognize the positive impact of the brand without simply thinking of it as a product.