Blog Post 2

Throughout the duration of the Better Lives project, it is clear from our multiple lectures and seminars how the three main themes of social responsibility, diversity and sustainability, are all closely related. As well as this, the better lives unit has highlighted how crucial and important the consideration of these themes is to the development of the fashion industry. Overall, the theme I have been most interested and involved in, throughout this process, is sustainability. Due, to the recent climate crisis within Australia and the current situation of the covid-19 pandemic, it is evident how we, as emerging creatives, must prioritise evolving the industry to be as sustainable as possible within our future work. As a creative direction student, I decided to choose the fashion sportswear styling project for the better lives unit; this is because I wanted to gain further knowledge and an understanding on how stylist’s function professionally and how sustainability is incorporated into this specialism.

Before, attending the fashion styling seminars and lectures, I had always considered styling to be an area of fashion which is rather wasteful, due to the constant need for new garments. However, the lectures demonstrated multiple ways in which stylists in industry are sustainably sourcing materials. For example, the lectures indicated how stylists are repurposing old garments by customising, and, how elements of DIY are being introduced, therefore allowing for stylists to continue to create inventive content, through more sustainable methods. In addition to this, the tutors illustrated how stylists are sourcing vintage materials from charity shops and thrift stores, which efficiently reduces the amount of unnecessary waste to go to landfill. Therefore, it is understood that these simple styling techniques are crucial in targeting the issues of mass consumption and waste within the fashion industry, as they act to positively impact the environment. 

Within the sessions, we have also been researching the history of subcultures and how they relate to the themes of better lives. When, looking into glam rock and punk, it was clear from our seminars and group work that their styling processes enlisted sustainability; as elements of repurposing, customization and DIY were all present. Moreover, these subcultures suggest how inexpensive techniques of styling can be effectively used to generate exaggerated and bold outfits which make statements of diversity. Specifically, when looking into glam rock as a political subculture, it was clear how the styling choices aided statements of diversity though visual commentary on gender, sexuality and androgyny. Furthermore, this highlights how styling can be used as a powerful medium in targeting issues surrounding diversity and inclusivity. 

In conclusion, the better lives unit has allowed me to understand how essential it is to better the environment by evolving the fashion industry to be sustainable. Overall, the unit has inspired me to take forward a sustainable styling approach to my creative work, as it is crucial, we tackle the issues of climate change. Furthermore, I attend to enlist the styling techniques, put forward through my seminars, of repurposing old garments, sourcing from charity shops, and customizing clothing, within my future work.