Blog Post 1: Emerging Technologies in fashion

After listening to Lecture 3: Emerging Technologies in fashion, I had some ideas and views on the future of technology in fashion. Lecturer Nick Almond talked about the role that digital technology plays in the fashion industry, and how digital technology can be a sustainable way for the fashion industry. 

A lot of what Nick said struck me because I was also interested in artificial intelligence and digital technology. To better reflect upon this lecture. I will put some of my research and own experiences to illustrate my ideas. 

Emerging technologies can create sustainable fashion in the future

The sustainability of fashion has always been a topic of discussion. Many people believe that fashion is not sustainable because fashion creates a lot of pollution and destroys the earth’s environment. As part of the fashion industry, we know how important sustainability is. But the rise of new technology has injected different blood into fashion, such as virtual digital clothing and artificial intelligence stylists and so on. Presenting reality in virtual form is the most appropriate way in modern times. These technologies have helped the fashion industry become more versatile and work towards achieving the goal of protecting the environment. Technology is an integral part of what can be sustainable and allows the industry to become more diverse. 

Emerging technology is already with us.

With the global outbreak of the coronavirus, we all participate in social distancing and self-isolation as the most effective way of combating the pandemic. Technologies such as smartphones, gaming consoles and computers have made life more bearable under these extreme circumstances, enabling people to learn about the world’s news and communicate with people from different countries at home. Digital products are also increasingly integrated into people’s lives. For example, many fashion brands are using social media as a platform to communicate new season designs, ideas and solutions to consumers online.  

Emerging technologies will be a significant part of the fashion industry in the future. 

Many brands want to create a concept of their sense of the future, but in today’s conditions and resources are  restricted.  Virtual reality can not only recreate the designer’s vision but also financially can save a lot of money. For instance, Angel Chen, a new designer from China, launched her brand online for the first time in 2020 Shanghai fashion week. The theme was inspired by the 1988 film AKIRA, in which the world is set in 2020 to be a cyber wasteland of futuristic technology, with the hero forever racing against time. 3D and Computer Graphics make the background of the show, and the whole atmosphere is based on virtual technology and cyberpunk, which perfectly represents futuristic clothes. Therefore, the designer team skillfully used virtual digital technology to achieve and create things that could not be done in the real world, bringing unprecedented perception and experience to the audience. I think creativity and imagination are the raw materials to shape the future, and the combination of technology and fashion will definitely become the mainstream of the fashion industry.

To conclude, emerging technologies can bring us infinite possibilities in the future, combined with fashion, then fashion will become a sustainable industry in the future. 

1 Comment