Blog 2: Themes & Future Work Reflection

The better lives themes are all vital for the future of fashion and dare I say it, humanity in general. Diversity, inclusivity, social responsibility and of course sustainability are each as important as the other. A lot of these topics, unfortunately, seem to be reduced to mere buzzwords. People like to talk about them because it sounds good. But in reality, very little change is actually being made. That is not to disregard the small baby steps the fashion industry has finally made in bettering itself by including and appealing to everyone. However, I personally feel that these sentiments largely remain alive only in scholarly articles online or university essays.

We live in a capitalist society, where fashion brands profit from racial scandals regularly. They don’t really care about sustainability even though the hashtag on their Instagram picture says they do. They still have prison-like sweatshops in third-world countries where the workers are treated like they are less than human.  According to Jeremy Myerson (cited in Salisbury, 2020) the average consumer that most fashion is designed for is a white, middle-aged male with a salary above £100,000. That doesn’t sound very inclusive at all. The fashion industry, although a seemingly female-oriented area, is still run by men (George-Parkin, 2018). I would like to put the blame entirely on backwards-thinking, non-inclusive big fashion brands, but I know that this is not true. Do we really care? We still buy from them and champion them. Fashion designers, photographers, journalists and more still work for brands which lack key elements such as diversity, empathy and inclusivity. People still catch numerous flights all across the world to attend fashion week shows, with not a single regard to the air pollution they contribute to. The list goes on. What’s more is that brands can only do so much. They listen to what the public says, whether that is directly or indirectly. Yes, big fashion brands have power and an influence to an extent, but in today’s consumerist culture, consumers are the true powerhouse. The saying “supply and demand” remains unparalleled.

I believe we all need to do our part, no matter how big or small. I need to educate myself further and raise awareness, even if that is speaking to family members who do not know of or have much interest in these topics. Furthermore, I hope to actively try to implement these changes within my daily life and work, especially by choosing environmental-friendly and sustainable fashion. In the future, I hope to really think about the consequences of my actions. Writing only about things that really matter and can inspire people to change. There is no need for me to bring a piece of journalistic writing into this world if it will not benefit anyone or improve anything. Speaking to people and collaborating more would really help because one can learn so much from others, leading to better ideas. There is power in numbers.

References:

George-Parkin, H. (2018) The Glass Runway: Our Exclusive Survey on the State of the Fashion Industry, Glamour, 21 May. Available at: https://www.glamour.com/story/the-glass-runway-fashion-industry-survey

Salisbury, L. (2020) ‘Inclusion’ [Lecture]. Better Lives, London College of Fashion, 12 February.

1 Comment