Better lives themes reflection blog post

Since starting this unit I’ve had the opportunity to gain insight on the three better lives themes and consider how they may influence my work as a makeup artist, and how they might inform my practice while briefly studying contemporary portrait photography during this unit.

As a hair and makeup practitioner I am aware of the current issues within the beauty and fashion industry, one being the lack of inclusiveness and diversity. For decades, the beauty and fashion industry have catered their products and advertised to predominantly white, slim, abled body people. Only recently have both industries began to release products that are slightly more diverse, however there is still a considerable amount of work to be done before diversity is no longer a prominent issue.

In regard to my own creative practice, I am keen on using a diverse casting for my work. When I first started the course I had a personal tutorial with Diana Donaldson, where I mentioned that I am keen on working with models who are from an ethnic background, as I understand that diversity is extremely important in my field of work and that representation is necessary within this industry. 

For future practice, I should consider how my work can be influenced by the ideas of sustainability and social responsibility more often. In terms of sustainability I may be a challenge to incorporate this with hair and makeup, as equipment and products may not always be sustainable, but I know that it is something I should always be aware of. As well as social responsibility.

During the better lives unit, I am briefly studying contemporary portrait photography, where my project is somewhat being informed and influenced by the three themes. It is important to highlight that this unit is taking place while an ongoing global pandemic has altered our day to day lives and placed a huge restriction on what we can do. In regard to photography, my project will be very limited as I am unable to go out as and when I please. It could be suggested that this links to the theme of social responsibility, as I have a duty to myself and others to take precaution and stay in lockdown to prevent any possible spread of the virus.

One example of how social responsibility has shaped my work is how I responded to a task set by Lillian Wilkie, where I was asked to create a home portrait of “someone who isn’t there”. Adhering to the current advice set by the government of not meeting people from outside your household, I decided to create a ‘home photoshoot’ with a friend over FaceTime. This photoshoot, inspired by the work of Heather Glazzard who has done this previously, followed the theme of social responsibility by upholding my duty to protect myself and the model participating from any unessential contact.