Better Lives Blog 2 – Themes Reflection

The Better Lives has three main themes: sustainability, diversity, and social responsibility. In my case, through the lectures and seminars, I could learn that these three themes are closely related to each other and play important roles in the aspect of fashion practices. These themes and lectures will have a positive impact on my future works.

My chosen project is Fashion Illustration: View from the Catwalk. In this project, I was able to find various fashion illustrations and at the same time study examples of sustainability, diversity, and social responsibility that designers and brands practice. As a hair and make-up for fashion student, when I researched various beauty brands, I found that many brands and artists are trying to make better lives. It was an opportunity for me to know that I can also try.

Generally, What I have been most interested in among these themes is Sustainability. I researched The Body Shop, a representative cosmetics brand in the UK. This company is a global beauty brand. The Body Shop was started in 1976 by its founder Anita Roddick with simple packaging and products obtained from nature. For more than 40 years, they have shown that being environmentally sustainable, people-centred and profitable can go hand in hand. I came to think that this company is a brand that is deeply concerned about sustainability because The Body Shop is the first brand to prohibit testing on animals among cosmetic brands and also the first company to introduce Fair Trade to the beauty industry. Therefore, all The Body Shop products are vegetarian and free from animal cruelty. This brand also helps communities with Community Fair Trade; Community Fair Trade is The Body Shop’s own independently verified fair trade programme, created to help marginalised communities improve their lives and alleviate poverty.

I think I can also participate in the sustainability they seek and empower their movement by using these brands’ products. In regards to sustainability, many makeup artists’ makeup kits contain a variety of chemicals and disposable products. This can be an environmental hazard enough. We cannot avoid this situation, but I think we can reduce the damage to the environment by using substitutes. It may be a good example to use cosmetics using natural materials rather than cosmetics including chemical materials. In particular, microplastics in cosmetics, which have become a big issue these days, are known to have a big problem polluting the ocean. Scientists say beauty products containing plastic microbeads pollute water supplies, harm sea creatures and leave tiny particles in human food. This means that the environment and humans are connected. Therefore, we should work harder to protect the environment. In this regard, I believe that reducing the use of disposable products or plastics can be an important action when doing makeup especially. Of course, this may not have an effective effect. However, I believe we can make a change by consistently doing small things and making efforts.

Reference

The body shop. https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/(Accessed : 6 March 2020).

BBC News. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-31880720/microplastics-in-cosmetics-damaging-marine-life(Accessed : 18
April 2020).

1 Comment