2nd Blog Post—- Themes Reflection

I have attended or watch all the lectures in the last 2 weeks. Now, I have a more comprehensive understanding of the theme of the better life unit, that is, from the three aspects of sustainability, social responsibility, and diversity, to discuss what things can the fashion industry improve to has a positive impact on human living. These lectures cover many topics. In my first blog post, I reflected on two lectures that were provoking and brought a lot of inspiration to me, which also, reshape my vision for my future work.  Nick Almond’s Lecture about the emerging technologies in fashion aroused my great interest in new technology. My project is Make-up break down, and since then I have been brainstorming how the emerging technologies that he mentioned in the lecture can change people’s approach to make-up.    

For example, he mentioned the X-reality technology in the lecture, which can create a mixed reality environment that allows the digital world to intertwine with the physical world. I see a massive potential it has to apply in the make-up and beauty industry.  I can create virtual make-up depending on this technology. In fact, some mobile photograph application like Face tune and B612 has already done something likely.  These applications create filters for different steps of make-up like eye browns, eyeshadows, lipsticks, even contour.     

Other than using the camera that to capture people’s image and add make-up on that, I would like to try to bring virtual makeup into the physical world in my later work. Recently I attended a Digital Learning Lab, which was a workshop on Projection Mapping. I learned to design commands by using a software Mad Mapping to accurately project images and video onto surfaces. One of the experimental objects I used in the workshop was a white 3D printed human head model. After I designed the shape of the projection in Mad Mapping, I can accurately project images or videos on the head model. This means that if that image is designed to a layer of makeup, the makeup can be projected on a human’s face, or even the video, so the makeup can be dynamic. In this way, the virtual makeup will not only stay in the virtual world but also come to the physical world through the projection of light and shadow.  

These are some of my speculative ideas, which I will experiment with later in the class. I still need to explore their feasibility. Maybe there will be other ideas that occur during the experiment.