Themes Reflection

After studying the Better Lives unit which including listening to the lectures and participating in the Fashion illustration workshops, I have learned many new techniques and also a new mindset that will definitely be carrying on into my future works. One of the things that we have discussed is to work with scrap materials. Like what Yohji Yamamoto has said in an interview, ‘there is something more than sustainability using vintage or regenerated fabrics, because there is a history in the material.’ By using scrap materials like bubble wraps, cardboard, and newspaper we have also added something more into the work. In the first session, I think I didn’t really ‘let go’ so I am still a little restrained so I think this is something I also need to work on in the future that I am not really used to work around other people.

the work using scrap materials and paint

Another technique that I really like that I’ve learned from the workshop is to create templates using collage and then create illustrations and drawings based on that template. And then also it can be developed further into patterns and etc. by using photoshop. The final outcome then looks pretty interesting because it is unexpected and different from what I usually draw. This has reminded me of Sarah Eisenlohr, who is an artist who has been working on contemporary surrealist collages. I have always been very intrigued by this type of collage which uses the juxtaposition of different images and subjects very well.

Then also this technique has also reminded me of a point of the clash of the culture being discussed in the lecture about cultural sustainability that people can create a new culture by merging different cultures that they have seen and experienced. Collage is using images in magazines from different cultures to create something new and then on top of the collage, we can create art and add more to it.

I’ve always enjoy looking at collages but I personally don’t really work well with collages but I think In the future I will definitely make more use of this technique of creating templates of collages that I think it will also works very well for character design and all sorts of design. I really like the outcome and I think putting the images in photoshop and working with them digitally also creates more possibility for them.

I think after taking this unit, what is more than learning the themes of sustainability, culture and social responsibility is to really have fun in the process. We were being told in the past that experimenting and play with the materials is also a thought process and I didn’t really understand it but from the workshops I think I kind of understand that a little bit more.