Blog post 2, Jenna brown

Within the better lives unit, there have been many different and diverse topics talked about which has opened me up to new things such as my passions for subjects elsewhere from my chosen course. Because this is a new thing for me and I haven’t studied or learnt in this way perviously coming from a school and college background, it has been difficult to adjust to the changes however, it has engaged me even more into learning new things as I have enjoyed every lecture and seminar I have been to. This pushes and drives me to excitement within future work and I am happy with this unit. In the representation lecture that I watched for my first blog, She talked about there being this image of one specific vision that everyone idolises and therefore causes conflict within everyday society. This is because not everyone looks the same which leads to the point of not everyone is going to look like the “perfect vision of beautiful”. In this lecture She then went on to talk about diversity within fashion and she went on to say something that really interested me “Fashion isn’t just the clothes we put on our body, Fashion is our interaction with everything” This was very important to me when she said it because not many people within society realise how much fashion influences us everyday. This interested me because it showed me the influence that is put on fashion and it all comes down to a specific idolised look that causes controversy. To link this strategy to my contemporary portrait photography, I wanted to photograph different portraits following on from the concept of expression and how someone feels by their appearance. I want to portray the concept of anxiety within my photography. I will photograph my model in different settings showing different expressions. One will be a photograph showing her looking into the mirror to show imagery of how in modern day, the way you look can cause some anxiety within. I will include different facial expressions in each picture to emphasise the concept of how the model feels In the photograph. This will ensure the image speaks to people in ways that is relatable as well as linking back to some of the better lives themes within fashion, such as expression and representation. Portrait photography I chose for different reasons, one being the fact that I have past experiences with photography from my GCSE exams. This helps me to understand the relevant subjects spoken about within this unit and to therefore further my skills. From studying photography at school, I learnt back then that I enjoyed doing the work as it was all in my best interest, therefore I know that I will very much enjoy picking this for better lives. I also wanted to bring back my knowledge in order to further my skills within photography as this would be relevant to my prosthetics and makeup course when taking pictures of my practical work.