Blog Post #2

This is part two of my blog portfolio for the Better Lives unit: as a student on the Hair, Make-up and Prosthetics for Performance course, I admit that I struggled to find much relation between the object of my study and the contents of most of the lectures. They were surely interesting and thought provoking, but, when faced with the question: “how will the information given during these lectures alter your own fashion practice?”, I am unsure about how to answer as I  would not consider hair and make-up artistry to be “fashion practice”, especially not for performance.

After re-reading my notes on the lectures and trying to make some sort of connection with them, I considered the main points, for example, inclusion and diversity. In my case, I will be working with performers that I don’t get to choose. It’s not my job to cast inclusively, so the best I can do is know how to deal with all different skin tones and hair types, to make whoever I work on feel comfortable and welcome in my chair.

The other point that I relate to, on a personal, as well as business-related level, is the aspect of sustainability in my practice. In Nina Stevenson’s lecture, she was speaking more about sustainability in our current world, where we’re facing a climate emergency that the majority of the big institutions aren’t taking seriously. Before I started studying at LCF, I was one of those people that believed “me changing my actions won’t do anything to stop the climate crisis, so there is no point. Change won’t happen unless the world’s leading corporations decide to change, as they are the ones doing the most damage anyway”. In a way, I do still believe this, but I’ve also come to realise that if I don’t make a change, then what’s even the point? If I don’t even try then what does that say about me? Am I not willing to make changes to my own life, so at least I can say that I did my part?

In my personal life, that has meant, for example, me becoming a vegetarian: something I have always known I wanted to do, but I was put off by my family, who are all still devoted meat-eaters, who are still struggling to accommodate my choice. The next step for me will be becoming fully plant-based.

In my practice, however it will be a bit more of a struggle. Since day one, our lecturer, Steven Solomon, has taught us that the number one rule of make-up artistry is to know how to carry out the proper health and safety practices. A lot of this depends on having disposables in your kit to prevent cross-contamination between clients. Then there’s the question of the makeup itself and trying to source it from ethical and sustainable brands. For now, all we can do is take responsibility and become the change, by doing our best to cut down on unnecessary disposables, especially those that are one-use plastics or make-up wipes.

1 Comment