Theme Reflections

Blog post 2 – Fiona Chernavskaya FSP Yr1

For the first theme of diversity, the main idea I have for the future is careful thinking of my use of models. A wide range of models is extremely important, because it makes fashion more accessible and relatable to customers worldwide, for example the range could include; models with prosthetics, skin conditions or disabilities as well as different sizes and ethnicities to showcase inclusivity. Recently gender queer models and trans representatives have also been sent down runways and we love to see it. One contestant on project runway season 18, Nancy, has shown throughout the competition her talent as an all inclusive brand. I was moved to see her making detachable skirts ect for a model in a wheelchair, proving her talent as a designer to make clothing more versatile. Perhaps I could take some inspiration from this and plan a shoot around the models, and think of ways to capture their story and highlight issues in the industry that they have faced. In collaboration with a photographer/ graphic artist and the unique models themselves we could create something more than a buzzword. 

This also made me think of the messages of social responsibility I want to put forward in upcoming shoots for potential viewers; would using a sustainable designer much as Marine Serre for the styling in combination with a beach/river setting send a subtle message of climate change to the audience? How will different lighting, accessories and models allow me to accent the issue further?

Climate change has been highlighted by many brands in the past, for example Stella McCartney in the Winter 2019 Ad Campaign. She upheld her commitment to sustainability with most garments made from upcycled materials, and sent out various messages with her use of colour, model range and location in the green hills of wales. This is an example of an obvious nod to worldwide issues without even having to explain it, but there are other ways of showcasing social responsibility in a narrowed down way. In the past shoot I’ve tie dyed/ bleached garments for my model to wear, basing the colours around green, blue and pink and orange, to represent the global issues of climate change. I thought this idea was both imaginative and the idea of customising old garments is also sustainable, so for the future I think I’ll base a whole project around this, awareness and creativity. 

Leading onto the theme of sustainability, I have lots of ideas to expand eco friendly ideas into the future, taking inspiration from the lectures as well as online articles and individual brand research. The last project we did was ‘sustainably radical’ and that gave me an opportunity to collect both factual and virtual ideas on sustainable brands, artists, stylists, campaigns, shows ect.. And now that I have so many potential plans, I can begin to piece together more collaborative projects. As most brands are beginning to transition to different versions of sustainability it’s important to encourage and highlight their strengths, pushing them forward towards a future where we can replenish what we take from the earth.