Better Lives-blog post 2

Work in the future

During the different better lives lectures, we were introduced to many topics related to sustainability, social responsibility and culture. I was made more informed about areas of fashion which I did not have much knowledge on previously. Many of these lectures touch on working cultures, salaries in the industry, well-being and fashion conditions in the workplace. These lectures have been detailed and instructive, providing us with in-depth information on the industry and its link to current problems that many people face.  

Collaboration is one area which I think is extremely important in the fashion industry. Being a student at UAL we have the opportunity to collaborate with many talented students from all the schools of UAL. However it can be pressurising to go out there and ask someone for help, or to come together to bring individuals ideas to create a more experimental and interesting collaboration. However this is the future of fashion. Collaborating with experienced and educated individuals in their own personal field which one might not have much knowledge on gives us students to dive deeper into our art, it allows us to leave the professionals to what they do best so that we can focus on our areas of expertise and therefore create an outcome which we have wished for. Collaborations help bring an idea to life. Being put into groups to work allows us to come together and create exciting outcomes. During many of our classes we are asked to either pair up or go to a group which allows us to understand the other students and their personal talents, as well as take away from them experiences, knowledge and skills, to help better ourselves as well. This is something which I wish to implement in my work in the future, collaborate and share with one another in the fashion industry. Other lectures have also helped me in understanding what changes of what I would like to implement in my future work. These include, well-being, diversity and also being more sustainably aware. I would like to reduce on items of clothing or materials which harm the environment, I would like to help improve working conditions in order to improve well-being and I would like to collaborate with talented individuals from all walks of life to bring creative ideas into practice and life.