Better Lives Blog Post 1

The Better Lives unit introduced many examples of problems and solutions within fashion which relate to culture, diversity and sustainability. The lectures taught me many things I hadn’t yet considered and I am very happy that we have had these points outlined in depth for us so I can take them into account when doing my own practice. There were some lectures in particular which highlighted problems I need to avoid and important social issues of which I could possibly influence and raise awareness. 

I found the ‘Cultural Sustainability’ lecture by John Lau really interesting. He started by outlining the definitions of objective and subjective culture which made me aware of the different situations where culture is introduced and the influence this may have globally on fashion. When cultural norms are modernised it can lead to them developing and this is essential to drive the fashion industry forward. If people do not understand the meaning behind a cultural piece of clothing, the item becomes simply a costume, which leads to cultural appropriation. I have a much clearer understanding of the issues around cultural appropriation due to the ‘Cultural Sustainability’ lecture and I am now determined to consider ways to avoid and solve problems surrounding this. We should all be striving to achieve cultural competence – people should consider inclusion and representation when designing, not just the aesthetic. If you can take a culture into account and work not only to represent, but also to provide support for that culture, this can lead to a productive outcome for all. However, if you simply exploit their culture for the aesthetics then this can lead to appropriation. 

I also found the wellbeing lecture by Jekaterina Rogaten intriguing as it went into depth about the psychological factors which should be considered in fashion. Very often this is an area which is ignores and which can cause mental health, environmental and exploitation issues within the fashion industry. For example with creatives like Alexander McQueen, Isabella Blow and Kate Spade, their lives were all ended early as they were weighed down by the pressures and struggles of the fashion industry. Ideas like the ‘Paradox of Choice’, ‘Cognitive Dissonance Theory’ and ‘Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs’ suggest solutions to poor wellbeing in the fashion industry, and I find this area fascinating. The depth of information in the lectures has helped me to understand the extent of the problem. In order to reach a sustainable, diverse and responsible outcome we need to first work on the mindset of the people in the industry and work outwards. This also includes thinking about not only the needs of the designers and people running the industry, but also the consumers. We should be striving to decrease the number of eating disorders and people with body dysmorphia, and stop producing images that can lead to lack of confidence and identity issues which people face due to unrealistic body standards in the media. Inclusion, diversity and representation of all people should be at the forefront of our industry. The Diversity and Representation lecture by Teleica Kirkland was very useful to help highlight these issues currently in the industry and show why we need to make a difference. 

I think that if we focus on these main values in our lives and our work then the fashion industry will become more friendly, inclusive, and representative.