Culture can be better

After seeing John Lau’s lecture on culture. I became very intrigued by the way fashion interact with larger cultures. Culture exists as a collection of ‘ideas, customs and social behaviours’, and thus it influences our ‘values, actions, and expectations of ourselves’, John said. So thus throughout history and different cultures, we see people donning dresses that reflects their respective statuses, needs, and era. I see that fashion grows accordingly to the things happening around different cultures — society, politics, and beliefs. Thus, certain appearances have been made to be associated with certain occupations or beliefs, like how John exemplified the politician look epitomised by Margaret Thatcher. It seems then, to me, that fashion is born to be the embodiment of culture — we assign certain semantics to certain aesthetics. However, this practice brings repercussions that have always baffled me. In our age of globalisation with bursting grow in diversity, we often see talks of cultural appropriation versus appreciation in fashion. And people tend to quickly get angry when bits get borrowed from a culture appear in a garment, or when put onto a person of a different culture. Certain subjects in many culture become isolated, and I feel like they become reserved exclusively for current members of each particular culture. John made a point talking about fashion items that might have infringed on the cultural significance of other cultures, such as the blackface inspired sweater, saying that it is bad designing, in which the design fails no acknowledge the meaning of the aesthetics. I understand this point, but I also think that when we restrict the use of aesthetics that are associated with worse things in history, such as slavery, religions…etc, we turn them into taboos. And I feel it is an extreme way of assessing fashion during our strive for globalisation and diversity. We should not have to get angry when we see Justin Bieber with dreadlocks, or when John Galliano run a Japanese inspired runway. Just because certain looks are bonded with ugly things from the past, doesn’t mean we should bury it away, especially when we very much make the better out of it.

Reference:

Lau, J. (2020) ‘ Cultural Sustainability’ [Lecture]. Better Lives, London College of Fashion, 18 February.

1 Comment