Filtering fashion identities through power.

The Better Lives unit and specifically the lectures about money and power raised some fascinating points in reference to the evolution of the clothing industry throughout history and powerful icons which included: royalties, politicians, business professionals and musicians too. This brought me to genuinely reflect on how wealth and fame shape our epitomes in relation to the “self” and our fashionable identity.   

Many social scientists claimed that: Fashion, most commonly in urban areas, is a form of showcasing of the “self” by which everyone is free to express its uniqueness and beliefs through the external appearance of our own style and apparel. I partly agree with this belief as fashion has always allowed me to disclose and celebrate my inner identity and moreover, to detach from the social crowds who are currently living in my hometown and in London too; this is predominantly analogous to my enthusiasm related to my sexuality and sympathy towards the fashion industry.   

On other hand, I arguably think that the whole industry shaped in a way through which marketing powers affect societies worldwide by unconsciously exploiting our true identities, therefore, constructing and forging similar models of human association. Indeed, it is not ambitiously difficult to identify who holds power within the actual fashion industry. Media, marketing associates and more specifically, social networks are the pioneers of nowadays fashion’s power, as they have a quick and subconsciously impact on our ideals and market power. 

Many social identity theories came out with the belief that Identity is indefinable as humans tend to shape and move from a group to another, although, marketing power forces can be identified as leaders of this phenomenon.   

A pure example of this argument is the even more expanding social media influencers controlled through strategic marketing planning. In other words, the social model of the influencer aims not only to sell brand’s items but is nowadays the main point of reference through which particularly younger generations build not only their closet but their appearance and ways of thinking. 

Generally, I really enjoyed the points that the lecture Julia highlighted over the lecture. Indeed, I think this Better Lives unit is crucial to make us think outside the box and to critically explore the variou aspects of the industry. Indeed, discussing in detail the impacts of power on fashion and society was very mind-boggling and made me further reflect on the roles of social media who took over the global fashion scene by persuading us and our aesthetics.  

Overall, I believe societies around the world should mindfully limit their obsessions and repercussions of the before mentioned influencers, this is because, our aesthetics, style and skills is what creates and portray our own “Brand”. The lecture about powers made me think that who and what holds higher authorities should solely be a model of inspiration and not identified as a way of living. Therefore, we should be the influencers of our personal brand, only this way we can break the boundaries of social insecurity and categorisation. 

Generally, I really enjoyed the points that the lecture Julia highlighted over the lecture. Indeed, I think this Better Lives unit is crucial to make us think outside the box and to critically explore the variou aspects of the industry. Indeed, discussing in detail the impacts of power on fashion and society was very mind-boggling and made me further reflect on the roles of social media who took over the global fashion scene by persuading our aesthetics and analagously transforming identy.