Blog 1 :

I believe this unit is a perfect way to introduce first years to the fashion industry and the lectures really helped address the current problems that are not really being tackled and I think it really motivates you to be more sustainable with your work and try and make a change to the fashion industry and really strive to make a difference.

The first lecture I attended which stood out to me the most was by Julia Crew about power and its relation to fashion and how it visually communicates power for example a suit represents and reflects the image of a wealthy lifestyle and in ways can represent power and higher authority. This was discussed for a main chunk of this lecture and I believe that it was a really powerful statement and example to show how fashion/garments can reflect power. 

We were also shown how the fashion industry is still commuting a lot to modern slavery and the brands behind this like H&M, Primark etc. really surprised me as they are at such a high demand and have such a huge following you would think they wouldn’t commute to things like this. I believe this is something that needs to change fast and something that defiantly shouldn’t be happening today. This lecture really made me think about how I am going to work in the future with my photography and perhaps I may not use certain brands that are affect the world problems and use things that are sustainable and not a hazard environment. It also made me think about how I can use these visual representation to help communicate certain subjects in the industry through my images.