Blog 1; The ‘Other’

Representation in the media is a concept that many are struggling to come to terms with in 2020. Narratives have been emphasised and reinforced by the media for many years creating various false ideals/truths regarding race – as this has been ongoing for many years, it is neither easy or quick to change the discourse and thoughts of the masses to evoke change.

Prior to this lecture I had a clear notion of diversity and representation on a level that was very much opposite to ‘surface’. I understand it from a particular stance as I am part of the minority but also from a very rare perspective as I was raised in a society that depicts the complete opposite of diversity and representation. Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire is an extremely white, exclusive and affluent area. In that sense that there are certain parameters in place maximising the likelihood of it being kept that way, the area lacks diversity in the highest degree; however, it is unlikely that will happen soon as there are many socioeconomic factors that make this more difficult to achieve. 

When discussing representation and diversity I relate immensely as I was the ‘token’ for many years of my life, much of that time spent innocently oblivious to what was occuring around me. 

Teleica Kirkland’s lecture spoke volumes on many behaviours that are so common within minority communities in order to assimilate into dominant European society. Many of which I could relate to as adopting behaviours that are adjacent to eurocentric standards is a familiar process for those in the minority to not be viewed as ‘other’ and therefore not be treated as such as delineated within Frantz Fanon’s “Black Skin, White Face”.

Kirkland’s lecture also discussed how within society, it is hard for some to grasp how eurocentric standards are stifling when rich black celebrities at the forefront of social media exhibiting illustrious wealth; however, Kirkland explained how many ideas of ‘wealth’ and ‘luxury’ are extremely aligned with eurocentric standards. 

Furthermore, the type of narrative that is pushed about the image of the black entertainer is very clear in how it is structured. For example, many sports suggest that black males excel better but also push a concept that their bodies are biological machines that excel within those areas, emphasising they are an ‘other’ and straying them from western standards. The theory of ‘other’ suggests through these connotations anything non – white is continually viewed as ‘othering’ from European standards. This concept is explained in Stuart Hall’s ‘Spectacle of the other’.

On the other hand, there is a ‘model minority’ which is viewed as ‘white adjacent’ and better fitting. This enabled me to ponder over the sad reality of how minorities feel the need to stray from their established backgrounds in order to be viewed as more favourable in dominant society. 

This lecture struck an extremely powerful chord with me as it highlighted the harsh truths of representation and diversity. Not from a place of heightened emotion but factual perspective.